Black Viper
Black Viper
Sep 192004
 

I have updated my Windows XP Services Configurations and Windows XP Services Information pages to include Service Pack 2 information. In its current state, much work is still needed (like verification of all dependencies located on the information page). However, I wanted to give my readers all of my findings to date. I still need to fix several related pages, but it will have to wait for another day.

For the most part, Microsoft took 3 years to create a "default" configuration for Windows XP Services that took me only one month to test and post on July 28, 2001. Several services that I previously recommended to be disabled are either gone or disabled by default after the installation of Service Pack 2.

Only one change to my "Safe" configuration and no changes to my "Gaming" and "Super Tweak" recommendations.

An "*" (asterisk) denotes changes from Service Pack 1a to Service Pack 2.

I have also modified the layout to have the left and the right columns slightly thinner. I also posted a workaround for an IE bug that fixes an issue while viewing the domain on a low resolution setting or small width. However, even after removing several columns of data on the Windows XP Services Configurations, the layout still breaks at 800×600, but 1024×768 with the "default" font size works fine.

I have updated my Windows XP Services Configurations and Windows XP Services Information pages to include Service Pack 2 information. In its current state, much work is still needed (like verification of all dependencies located on the information page). However, I wanted to give my readers all of my findings to date. I still need to fix several related pages, but it will have to wait for another day.

For the most part, Microsoft took 3 years to create a "default" configuration for Windows XP Services that took me only one month to test and post on July 28, 2001. Several services that I previously recommended to be disabled are either gone or disabled by default after the installation of Service Pack 2.

Only one change to my "Safe" configuration and no changes to my "Gaming" and "Super Tweak" recommendations.

An "*" (asterisk) denotes changes from Service Pack 1a to Service Pack 2.

I have also modified the layout to have the left and the right columns slightly thinner. I also posted a workaround for an IE bug that fixes an issue while viewing the domain on a low resolution setting or small width. However, even after removing several columns of data on the Windows XP Services Configurations, the layout still breaks at 800×600, but 1024×768 with the "default" font size works fine.