Many people have asked for a “one-click” type of solution to Windows Vista Services. This page is my answer. Even though it takes more than just “one-click,” it will make things faster for you and assist in configuring your system for optimal performance.
Warning: Before you do anything, read EVERYTHING!
Notes for a Happier Computer and User
- Do not use “msconfig” to disable services, type “services.msc” in the Run box instead! (why?)
- Before disabling any service, check out the Windows Vista Services Information.
- All of these services are “Standard” with Windows Vista. If you discover something other than these listed here running, another program installed them.
- After adjusting your service settings, reboot your computer.
- Before E-Mailing me, see if your question has been addressed in the FAQ!
- DO back up any files that you cannot be without.
- DO understand that editing the registry, no matter what method or extent, has risks.
- DO use this information at your own risk.
- DO contact me with comments, suggestions and success stories.
The Don’t list
- DON’T tweak your system randomly. Knowledge is power. Read and utilize the information I have available on my Services Configuration Guide, Services 411 Guide.
- DON’T EVER, NEVER download and install a registry patch without first looking to see what you are applying!
Points to note
- Modifying your services registry start up settings via these patches are GLOBAL. This means that what ever you do will effect all users and all services hardware profiles except when, in a hardware profile, you specify “disable” in the options. In that case, hardware profiles override the “global” settings.
- You should recieve no errors when applying these patches.
- Safe mode is not required.
- Everyone should download and view the files on their local system to see what is in there before applying.
- To EDIT the file, Extract the .zip file and save it somewhere on your local hard drive. Use “Notepad” to view the file or just right-click, select “edit” and away you go!
- To APPLY the patch, or restore your previous backup registry file, double-click the file or right-click and select “merge.”
- After applying the registry patch, reboot to see the effects of your tweaking.
- I have tested these files on multiple systems and you should have no problems UNLESS you do not follow the instructions on this page. 🙂
Services “Start” Key Modification
This section contains files with ONLY the “Start” key and “DelayedAutoStart”. For example:
The “Application Experience” service, this information is applied for the “Default” configuration:
For the key “Start,” the values are:
- 00000001 ~ A system service that loads/starts very early on. Will not be used here.
- 00000002 ~ Automatic
- 00000003 ~ Manual
- 00000004 ~ Disabled
Also, for the key “DelayedAutoStart,” the values are:
- 00000000 ~ No
- 00000001 ~ Yes
Default Windows Vista Services Start Key:
- Download the Vista Home Basic 32-bitFile:
Default Vista Home Basic 32-bit Start v0.03.zip ~ Size – 1207 bytes ~ Version 0.03 ~ October 16, 2007
- Download the Vista Home Basic 64-bit File:
Default Vista Home Basic 64-bit Start v0.03.zip ~ Size – 1214 bytes ~ Version 0.03 ~ October 16, 2007
- Download the Vista Home Premium 32-bit File:
Default Vista Home Premium 32-bit Start v0.03.zip ~ Size – 1243 bytes ~ Version 0.03 ~ October 16, 2007
- Download the Vista Home Premium 64-bit File:
Default Vista Home Premium 64-bit Start v0.03.zip ~ Size – 1250 bytes ~ Version 0.03 ~ October 16, 2007
- Download the Vista Business 32-bit File:
Default Vista Business 32-bit Start v0.03.zip ~ Size – 1225 bytes ~ Version 0.03 ~ October 16, 2007
- Download the Vista Business 64-bit File:
Default Vista Business 64-bit Start v0.03.zip ~ Size – 1232 bytes ~ Version 0.03 ~ October 16, 2007
- Download the Vista Ultimate 32-bit File:
Default Vista Ultimate 32-bit Start v0.03.zip ~ Size – 1263 bytes ~ Version 0.03 ~ October 16, 2007
- Download the Vista Ultimate 64-bit File:
Default Vista Ultimate 64-bit Start v0.03.zip ~ Size – 1269 bytes ~ Version 0.03 ~ October 16, 2007