Well, the person outlined two updates below "is" using a plain version of IE6, that is, if you do not include using AdShield. AdShield blocks pop-ups and banner ads. Since I do not have any, it is rather pointless to have it running on my site. However, this is the intriguing thing. Cut and pasted from the home page is this "feature:" Improves performance using optional background downloading and caching of pages/images linked to the ones you’re viewing. Improves performance for "whom?" That completely explains the reason for the log [Continue Reading]
In a totally unrelated matter, I usually post the “time” of my update. The previous post, I put the time as “10:03 PM.” The reality is that is the time I “started” posting the news update. The clock on my system now shows “11:02 PM.” Where am I going with this? All updates, no matter how small or what the content, takes time. I have tons of stuff I would love more than anything to post about. However, the information that I post, I try to make it as accurate [Continue Reading]
In an attempt to give my readers a little insight as to "what goes on behind the scenes," I have posted the following news update. Time to start the latest Quick Rant. This is the longest news update I have had in awhile. The reason? I am banging my head up against the monitor. I, once again, fired up the automatic banning of IP addresses last night. This is due to my desire to stop "bad" robots from sucking too much bandwidth. More information on this practice is located in [Continue Reading]
I have had several complains from readers about my web server automatically banning their IP address because of "abuse." This is due to my recently implemented configuration to stop "bad" robots from sucking too much bandwidth. More information on this practice is located in my Abuse Rant. I implemented a "hidden link" which all "good" robots, including all major search engines, would ignore. Some proxy servers, pre-fetchers and firewall’s chose to ignore the robots.txt standard. This is an issue to take up with the creators of those programs, not my [Continue Reading]
A sharp reader identified a news update that I posted a few days ago for only 30 minutes, then deleted. It outlined the steps that I have recently implemented to stop abuse of my content. I will now go into greater detail in the Abuse Rant. For several months, I have been attacking my bandwidth problem from a totally different angle than I recently have. I was optimizing images, cutting down on all "extra" content, and compressing content for faster download time. However, after looking through my log files, that [Continue Reading]
I have added the following Frequently Asked Question in the Ask BV section: How did you come up with the name "Black Viper"?
I have posted a new Rant I call Copyleft. It contains an examination of the issues of United States Copyright Law and the GNU Free Documentation License. I, by any stretch of the imagination, am not a lawyer. What is contained in this document are my feelings and opinions on a touchy subject based on extensively pouring over what is deemed legal documents and attempting to come up with a solution to my particular problems in the best way that I can. READ MORE…
Since most of my domain optimization efforts are complete, I can now (finally) focus on adding content to the domain. Current plans (in no particular order) are as follows: Post Windows 2003 information This will include an Install Guide and also Services information Screenshots are being created for the Install Guide Hopefully, most of the Install Guide will be finished tonight Services information will be posted after the Install Guide is drafted Post Fedora 1 information This will include an Install Guide Currently downloading as I type Post Mandrake 9.2 [Continue Reading]
The Windows 2003 Enterprise Server Install Guide is online.
Round Three of my domain optimization efforts is complete. Long time readers may remember that the domain started out as "blkviper.com." This was due to, at the time, "blackviper.com" being taken. After several months, I was able to get the "full" blackviper.com domain name. Unfortunately, I have always resolved each domain to the exact same content. Another problem is that I configured each domain to be accessible with or without the "www." in the address bar at the server level. This resulted in search engines indexing and people linking to [Continue Reading]